November 01, 2012

Tales from a Teacher: Meet Jackie


 Jackie once was an average elementary school student, and is now an amazing elementary school teacher.  In this interview Jackie describes what her life was like in elementary school compared to how it is today- teaching at her elementary school.



What was your elementary school life like?
- When I was in elementary school I was a struggling student.  My reading level was low and in math I was average.  It was a constant battle going to school.  The administration wanted me in special education but I refused it.  They insisted that I take speech instead.  I was in sixth grade attending speech class. 

Did you enjoy going to school?
- Yes, I loved going to school.  Just making new friends and all the fun activities. 

How were your grades?
- I was a struggling reader and average in all other subjects.

What was your favorite subject?
- My favorite subject was Mathematics.

What did you categorize yourself as? (jock, nerd, loner, popular, unique)
- I was well liked by everyone.  I wouldn't consider myself popular though. 

Did you play any sports or activities while you were in high school?
-There was a program called after school sports.  It was so much fun.  We would play all kinds of sports.

Who was your favorite teacher/ Which teacher influenced you the most?
- Mrs. Quarttuccio was my favorite teacher.  She influenced me by making the lessons fun but we were still learning!

When did you realize that you wanted to be a teacher?
- I always wanted to be a teacher since I was young.  I would play school at home.  I had a six foot chalk board and would teach my friends and stuffed animals.

What do you love most about teaching?
-  It is so rewarding when a child understands what you are teaching them. 

What is your biggest struggle in being a teacher?
- I would like to dedicate more time on a topic that my students are struggling with.  There is not enough time in a day to study all of these subjects.

What age group do you like teaching the most? The least?
- Ages 5-11 I like to teach the most.-Ages 11 and up I like to teach the least.

In what ways is elementary school different today than when you were in elementary school?
-There are better reading, writing, and math programs.  The technology increased.  Now there are common core standards, which are standards that apply for the entire country.

Does the school look any different than when you went to school there?
-Yes, there are pictures of the students all along the wall.  There are new faces teaching and a new principal.

What made you want to teach at your old elementary school?
-I know exactly where everything is in the building and it makes me feel like home.  It is a wonderful experience being on the other side as a teacher now.

Do you teach with any of your past teachers?
- Yes, they are eager to help me with any questions I have.  It is an excellent experience when the cooperating teachers are helpful.

Does it feel weird teaching in a school that you were once a student of?
-No, I can relate to the students.  I was once in their shoes and would be able to help them the best I could in any situation. 
If you can change anything about the school you teach in, what would it be?
-I would not change anything.

It is truly inspirational to be able to do what you love every day.  Jackie is a dedicated teacher to her students and will continue doing what she loves for as long as she can.  Do you ever wonder what it would be like to one day teach at a school you once attended?

No comments:

Post a Comment